Friday, August 30, 2013

Visiting Cambridge

I finally made it to Cambridge, where I had a veeeery good time.

Today I'm in Cambridge (UK), visiting Bob Carlyon, John Deeks and Hedwig Gockel at the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit. Be careful, doors have ears here, and you don't really want to wake up the sleeping tiger...

"Hedwig, do you know the story of the guy who got flattened by an angry subject..."

Before getting to work, we relaxed in the beautiful garden of the CBU (I was lucky enough to be there on the *one* day of summer).

Thursday lunch is "Bleepers' lunch" (or blunch), people bleep while they lunch... and the tradition is that newcomers must bake something. Look at the delicious cake I made for this occasion: poppy seeds, lemon drizzle and lots of mulberries! Rosy is cutting it for me.

Time for some serious stuff. Got a ride on the local TDT (the TDT has ears as well...).

Then I sat in one of the three booths. This one is called "The Large Booth". Pretty imaginative!

But the curious people of Cambridge also wanted to see my brain. So they popped me into the scanner! I even made a video: that scanner is extremely loud! (Disclaimer: you may not want to try this at home)

"Lay flat and don't move." Will try...

Okay, how did I do? What's my brain like? ... why do they look so concerned!?

I didn't have time to visit Brian's lab, and I should soon be off to London. But maybe I'll have another chance to see Brian a bit later.

Hope everything's fine on the other side of the pond!

No comments:

Post a Comment